Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Rapid Rapid-Cycling

Just how rapid does rapid cycling get? The official criteria to qualify as a rapid cyclists are:

  • You must experience 4 or more distinct mood episodes in a year*
  • Your mania must last at least one week; depression two weeks*
(*various sources)

Well shit, if that's the case then I usually qualify in the first quarter of the year.

As for Sunday - I was like a bloody YoYo. YeeHaaa in the morning,  Pretty Shitty by lunch.  etc. etc.

In retrospect though, I gotta admit that the YeeHaa was only  very temporary.  I've been hanging to  screech out a YeeHaaa on audio-blogger for some time now, so excuse me if I seized the opportunity a little prematurely.

Today? Probably...

4 comments:

  1. I always wondered who those "rapid cyclers" were who had episodes four times a year. More like four times a day for me. If I only had two weeks of depression and cycled four times a year, I wouldn't even bother with meds, I'd ride it out.

    --Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get those YEEhee's every Friday around 3 pm. and I am pretty bummed by Sunday night. Does that qualify as rapid cycling?

    Just kidding (I really don't mean to make light of your disease. I understand it can be very difficult to deal with.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cycles are generaly tighter than that too. days rathet than weeks but there are times when the manias run over about a 9 week cycle...just now coming off one of those. I hate looking back over all the things I do over those times or worse the things I don't do....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely on the down swing here... I've been scouring the web for resources to help me out. Low of money, can't afford meds or the doc. Mental function and decision making are at an all time low. In fact, in my life, I've never been this low.

    Your Blog is a sanctuary.

    Nice to know that there are others out there experiencing the same things.

    Lately, because of low funds, been trying a holistic approach (a change). Rode the bus this morning to work (that's new too).

    I think I've curbed hypersexuality with a Vitamin coctail of Folic Acid, Magnesium, Selenium, Chromium Picolonate, B9, B12, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil. Not sure which one is doing it, but it seems to be working.

    And, I found an interesting article about Glutamine and Creatine deficiency in bipolar patients...might be a new way to diagnose the disorder. thought you might find it interesting....

    I started Glutamine and Creatine 2 days ago. Feel slightly better. Gotta be careful not to over do it on the Glutamine though, there is a possibility of going manic with it.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts