Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Delusions of Grandeur

And then there is Apophenia. No, this is not an ancient Greek Goddess. It is, in fact, a genuine medical term coined by K. Conrad in 1958, defined as:

  • "the spontaneous perception of connections and meaningfulness of unrelated phenomena"
  • "In statistics, apophenia is called a Type I error, seeing patterns where none, in fact, exist"
  • "The propensity to see connections between seemingly unrelated objects or ideas most closely links psychosis to creativity ... apophenia and creativity may even be seen as two sides of the same coin."

Apophenia would be an interesting way to dismiss my "mystical experiences". Maybe it would be a lot easier for all concerned if it did. But I'm afraid it doesn't. Having ploughed through the second half of the book "Beyond Coincidence", I can assure you that the coincidences that have crossed my path in my manic phases are every bit as profound as those deemed worthy to be included in the book.

Admittedly, there is an element of subjectivity in this appraisal, so what I am presently doing is writing a second book (see my first book: http://www.thewordproject.com/branchofwisdom.htm) detailing the strange string of events that happened to me three months ago. "Delusions of grandeur" is the title.

Book Titles, book titles... I find them about as addictive as domain names. I've got a list of about a hundred book titles. Here are some of the better ones:

  • Snakes and Ladders (for bipolar depression)
  • The Source Code
  • Learning to Swim
  • The Pythagorean Letter
  • Why
  • The Relative and the Absolute
  • Blindspots
  • The Awakening
  • Perhaps

Anyway back to "Delusions of Grandeur": the idea is that once all of my coincidences are chronicled in this potential bestseller ;-) then the reader can choose the verdict for my synchronistic trips themselves.

I'm in the zone today - right where I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. Technology Redefines Sales and Advertising
    Enter the Email address of the person you are forwarding this item to. Subject Subject line of the email that will be sent to the email address entered above.
    This is a Great Blog! I will be visiting you often.

    I have a computer spyware related site. It isnt anything special and basically covers computer spyware.

    Come and check it out if your get time :-)

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts