Friday, September 09, 2005

Scattered

The concert last night was pretty cool. Three pieces by the Orchestra: Rossini, some Russian dude & Tchaikovsky.

Actually my music tastes (along with all of my other tastes) are very scattered. At various times I've been into: Reggae, Ska, Rock, World, New Age, Club, Trance, House, 80's, Classical, Jazz, Pop, etc, etc. 2005 kicked off with a full-on trance phase. But then I started getting into Classical and coffee shops. At present I can feel myself gravitating towards jazz. Also enjoying Coldplay.

I suppose it goes with the territory - lots of moods; lots of tastes. And it's not just music - I've been through just about every "ism" you can think of too: Hedonism, Materialism, Marxism, Post-Modernism, Taoism, Buddhism, Atheism, Gnositicism, Capitalism, Idealism, Paganism, Platonism, Neo-Platonism. Presently I'd describe myself as into Techno-Pythagoreanism.

My CV is also eclectic - I have a bachelor's degree in Accounting, am somewhere in the midddle of a Masters degree in Philosophy, and run a stable of web businesses. For what it's worth I'm also a member of Mensa (the international high IQ society) (who, incidentally, have a higher proportion of BiPolar's than the general population).

This constant stream of tastes and interests that come and go can be unsettling. It gives one the sense of total impermanence. Reminds me of Enid Blyton's "Faraway Tree". When you poke through the clouds at the top of the tree, you never know what land is going to await you. The best way to handle it is to just let go, and go with the flow. "Learning to Swim".

Looks like today is going to be a "Halfway House", although one can't always tell first thing in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts