Sunday, January 27, 2008

Concentrated Power

I'm here. The flames never really got any closer, nor were they ever likely too.

One thing I can say:
I've been in a force 5 gale in a 34 ft yacht in the Indian Ocean.
I've seen lions roar in the wild.
I've stood on the top of mountain peaks.
I've been in a contact situation in a war zone.

But nothing, NOTHING was quite as powerful as Friday night. Those flames were awesome man. Higher than trees. The wind was howling and we watched how quick it raced down the mountain. Ever listened the crackle and pop of a log fire? Man, this was like 1000 x amplified. Like automatic rifle fire. A glowing orange sky. Like a volcano sky. The heat hitting your face, from 100 metres away. FireEngines whizzing past, worried glowing faces in the windows. Soot everywhere.

Ok, I know a whole lotta people lost their houses, and I'm not belittling that (at least no-one died). And the vegetation is a loss too - although the Fynbos in this part of the world actually thrives on fire; the heat triggers seed release. But Friday night will always be in my memory - standing on the top of that hill with Mrs M. And I'm not sure if I'll ever witness such sheer concentrated nautural power as that again.

Simone-T: I personally won't be doing the mood-chart thing. See why here. But don't take my word for it, I'd recommend trying it out for anyone. You gotta decide yourself if it works for you or not.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you and Mrs. M. are safe and were never in real danger. The pics were awesome, your description even more so. Im always sorry for any loss but have to admit there is something about devastating natural phenomena that puts everything in perspective for me and gives a terrifying thrill.

    I took the link to your previous post on mood-charting. I signed-up for the new study but am going to opt-out now for the reasons you state: obsession, stilted living and over-self-conciousness. Appreciate your clarity.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts