Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Shock Treatment

21 years ago I had 6 sessions of Electro Convulsive Therapy (shock treatment). I was doing compulsory (i.e. NOT by choice) military duty in the South African Defence Force and completely flipped out one night. Next morning when I awoke, I was convinced I was the Second Messiah come to save the world from Satan. Within three days I was in a Psychiatric ward and my "Messiahood" only ended 3 months later after the shock treatment.

Much controversy surrounds shock treatment, but I must say that in my case it was the only thing that brought me back to reality. The one thing that is starting to bother me though is in the past couple of months I've been having these terrifying dreams about being shocked. I actually feel the charge hit my body, jolt every fibre in my being, before I bolt awake, usually with a scream. At first I was worried that I was having some kind of minor seizure or something, but, as the dreams are becoming more recurrant, I suspect they are somehow linked by that voltage I had back when I was 19.

There's a lot to tell about this experience which I propose to do so in the next couple weeks.

Anyway, I'm in the zone today, and everthing is zipping along quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts